Sometimes sticking to a healthy, balanced diet and following a consistent exercise regime is just not enough to get rid of those last lingering pockets of fat. Whether you’ve reached what is known as a “plateau” in your weight loss journey or are looking for new ways to shed fat, cryolipolysis or fat freezing might be the perfect solution for you.
But exactly what is cryolipolysis? Well, many years ago, scientists noticed that children who ate ice blocks got dimples in their cheeks. This led to a long and extensive study of the effects of cooling on removing specific pockets of fat cells. The study showed that cold temperatures could destroy fat cells without damaging the skin, other cells or surrounding tissue — leading to the discovery of cryolipolysis, also known as fat freezing.
Fat freezing has become an increasingly common treatment for getting rid of fat cells in the body for good, with some of the most popular cryolipolysis technology and treatment companies in the world being CoolSculpting. In this guide, we will delve deeper into cryolipolysis and CoolSculpting — discussing the key differences between the two terms so that you have a clearer picture of cryolipolysis vs CoolSculpting.
How fat loss actually happens
Before we get into the differences between cryolipolysis vs CoolSculpting, understanding how fat loss works in the body is essential. Did you know that when you lose weight, your body fat does not actually disappear? Instead, your fat cells simply shrink in size. And when you gain weight, the opposite occurs — your fat cells get bigger. However, with fat-freezing treatments that use cryolipolysis, fat cells are completely removed and not just made smaller.
Cryolipolysis vs CoolSculpting
Now that you know how fat loss in the body occurs and that cryolipolysis is a way of freezing fat to cause the permanent loss of fat cells, we can get into the main differences between cryolipolysis and CoolSculpting and everything you need to know about both.
First of all, what is CoolSculpting? CoolSculpting is a non-surgical fat reduction treatment that uses US based tech controlled cooling to eliminate that stubborn, superficial fat. In other words, CoolSculpting is a cryolipolysis treatment. With over 7 million treatments performed across the world, CoolSculpting is well know brand of fat-reduction technology. However, at the end of the day, CoolSculpting is a brand name – essentially cryolipolysis the mechanism of action which is the same as gold standard medical-grade cryolipolysis machine. A clever way to imagine this is to think about going to a pharmacy and choosing a generic medication (cryolipolysis) over a branded product (CoolSculpting).
How does CoolSculpting and cryolipolysis work?
Targeting only your fat cells, cryolipolysis treatments, like CoolSculpting, use controlled cooling to freeze and crystallise fat under your skin without damaging the surrounding muscle and skin tissue. This causes the fat cells to undergo a sort of cell death — a process called apoptosis.
During apoptosis, dead fat cells are processed and naturally eliminated by the body through the liver and removed for good. Afterwards, the remaining cells in the treated area condense, leaving you with less fat — and even a reduced appearance of cellulite.
If you’re thinking that this sounds too good to be true, it gets even better. Not only can you see the benefits of cryolipolysis(fat freezing) within a couple of weeks after your procedure but cryolipolysis treatments like CoolSculpting are also a permanent fat cell removal treatment.
The benefits of cryolipolysis for fat loss
When performed by an experienced technician, there are multiple benefits of cryolipolysis treatments. The main benefits include:
- A non-surgical and non-invasive procedure — Unlike other fat reduction treatments such as liposuction and fat-dissolving injectables, cryolipolysis treatments are completely non-surgical and non-invasive.
- Little downtime required — There is also little to no downtime after cryolipolysis treatment sessions, and most patients are able to return to doing regular daily tasks immediately afterwards.
- Completely tailored to your body — Whether you want to reduce fat in your arms, double chin, legs or stomach, cryolipolysis is ideal for targeting multiple specific areas of your body.
Suitable candidates for cryolipolysis treatments
If you eat a healthy and balanced diet and exercise fairly regularly, you should be an ideal candidate for cryolipolysis. While cryolipolysis can help people of all ages, shapes and sizes, we find the best results are achieved on clients who are, at most, 10-15 kgs over their goal weight or have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or less.
Just like any procedure, there are always certain conditions that may prevent you from being a suitable candidate for cryolipolysis. If you have any of the following conditions, cryolipolysis treatments are not ideal for you:
- Any autoimmune disease
- Being pregnant (or trying to fall pregnant)
- Chronic fatigue
- Not in your ideal BMI
- Have had a hernia or surgery in the target area
”WE ARE SPECIALISED CLINICS USING MODERN NON-SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY FOR PERMANENT FAT LOSS...AND WE DO IT WELL....
The safety and longevity of the results
The good news is that once frozen and crystallised, fat cells can be digested and completely eliminated from your body — leaving you with lifelong results. And unless you experience substantial weight gain after your cryolipolysis treatments, your results should last indefinitely.
In addition to the permanency of your fat loss, you can also rest assured that cryolipolysis treatments are safe. There are even studies on the effectiveness of cryolipolysis that will vouch for its safety.
Let’s talk about pricing
The cost of cryolipolysis treatments varies from target area to target area. For example, the price of smaller areas, such as the double chin, will be less expensive than your arms or thighs. In general, however, the price of cryolipolysis is around $600 per session in Australia.
To get a more accurate estimate based on your specific problem areas, book an online consultation to chat with one of our friendly team members at Body Sculpting Clinics.
Ready to freeze the fat away?
Whether you are interested in finding out more about how our TGA-approved cryolipolysis treatments can work for you or you’d like to book an appointment at one of our clinics, please get in touch with us today — we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.
With a fully qualified team who have completed more than 40,000 successful treatments, you can rest assured that you’re in safe and experienced hands at Body Sculpting Clinics. Backed by a medical team of doctors and nurses, Body Sculpting Clinics specialises in advanced, non-surgical treatments in Sydney.
Preparing for your appointment
Before your cryolipolysis appointment, there are a few things you can do that will increase your chances of getting the best results possible and help you have a more pleasant experience. Here are 5 tips from our team:
- Book fat freezing treatments as you approach your target weight — While cryolipolysis helps reduce unwanted pockets and fat from certain areas, it isn’t a weight-loss procedure that can destroy 20kgs of fat. So, in order to get the best results from your treatment, you should be, at most, 10-15kgs over your goal weight before your sessions.
- Avoid certain medicines and supplements — Although this is not essential, we recommend avoiding supplements and medicines that interfere with blood flow and can increase the risk of bruising. If you’re concerned about any of your usual medicines or supplements, you can discuss your concerns with a member of our team.
- Look after your skin — Just like many other cosmetic treatments, it is recommended that you avoid sun exposure before your cryolipolysis appointment. This is to prevent any discomfort that could be caused by gentle suctioning on freshly sunburnt skin.
- Bring something to do during your session — Each cryolipolysis session takes about one hour, so in order to avoid boredom, remember to bring something along that will keep you entertained or distracted during your treatment.
- Create a maintenance plan — While the results of cryolipolysis can take up to 16 weeks to show, it’s important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regime in the meantime.